Wednesday, March 7, 2012

what's on my bookshelf wednesday {9}

Week 9:  Last bedroom bookshelf

 


The final shelf in our bedroom houses more of my Women's Studies collection and a whole slew of pregnancy & parenting books.  I devoured What to Expect, The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy, Your Pregnancy:  Week by Week, Belly Laughs, The Real Deal Guide to Pregnancy, and more in the 42 weeks it took for miss Natals to incubate, and now they sit collecting dust while I take my sweet time even contemplating the idea of baby #2. 


-  If I must choose a pregnancy book to share, which this shelf seems to dictate I should, I guess it would have to be Your Pregnancy:  Week by Week.  I got in the habit of reading the new chapter every Sunday night, as I counted down the weeks until Natalie's due date (ha).  I loved having that little alien fetus compared to a new fruit or vegetable each week, and reading the descriptions of all of her changes and developments.  Even though I was also getting email updates with all of that same information, there was something about curling up with a cup of tea and turning down the page of a new chapter that was so satisfying during my pregnancy.  As the pages remaining grew fewer, it helped me to really understand that my time as a pregnant lady was also dwindling.  It was also really pertinent information that didn't feel overwhelming, which I really appreciated at the time.

 
-  This is the moment where I admit that although I own Susan Faludi's Backlash, I have never read it.  Go ahead and tsk, tsk me, fellow feminists.  I'll get to it someday.


Do any of you other mothers or preggo ladies have a favorite book about baby-incubating?  And are there any books you really should have read, but still sit on your shelf waiting?

0 comments:

Post a Comment