Wednesday, February 15, 2012

what's on my bookshelf wednesday {6}

Week 6:  Natalie's nursery bookshelf


We started Natalie's book collection when I was just a few weeks pregnant, before we ever told friends and much of our family.  Imagining the years ahead of reading to my child, with my child, and next to my child made my pregnancy feel more real, made me so excited about the lifetime of parenting ahead.  Since the day we brought her home, we have devoted time every single day to reading to Natalie.  There are so many favorites to choose from, but here are a couple that live on the shelf in her room:

 
- The Topsy-Turvy books, which belonged to Mike when he was a little boy.  Mike's mom passed them on to us when I was pregnant, and they are the very first books we ever read to Natalie.  Well, really, Mike was essentially reading them to me while I nursed Natalie to sleep every night.  I can't wait to share them with Natalie again when she is older and ready for more complex stories.  I know she will love them.

 
- Some of my favorite books as a kid were Robert McCloskey's books, like Make Way For Ducklings and One Morning in Maine and Blueberries for Sal.  We received copies of all three books as gifts for Natalie, and I know she is going to enjoy them just as much as I did.

What are your favorite children's books?  Are there any from your childhood that you share with your own children?

0 comments:

Post a Comment