Tuesday, February 14, 2012

the truth about me and valentine's day

You know how everyone is always like "I hate Valentine's Day!"  "Valentine's Day is stupid!"  "Valentine's Day is lame!"

Well, I don't feel that way.  I never have.  Maybe because my mom always decorated our house with heart garlands and left pretty cards on the breakfast table for us on Valentine's Day, maybe because I was one of those obnoxious girls who always had a boyfriend armed with flowers and chocolates at school starting in about 7th grade and ending... well, never.

Whatever.  I think a day to tell the people you care about that you care about them is just fine.  Shiny red hearts & overpriced boxes of chocolates & bright flowers & sloppy kisses & snuggles over a nice meal?  All that stuff is just fine by me.

I also think that being single has nothing to do with the spirit of a day all about love--I love my parents, my child, my friends, my home, my new red lipstick, Netflix, Pinterest, extra long scarves, and the music turned up too loud in my car.  I also happen to be madly in love with my husband.

For me, today is about giving a little extra acknowledgement to the people & things & circumstances that you love.

It's also about dressing Natalie in a shirt with a heart on it.  And a tutu.  And pink sunglasses.





Natalie has been saying "Happy Birthday!  Love day!" in response to my "Happy Valentine's Day!" exclamations this morning.  Holidays are still a mystery to this kid.  Just one more thing I love about her.

2 comments:

  1. She is adorable! Happy Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentine's Day! I am right there with you - I <3 anything pink, frilly, shaped like a heart, or filled with chocolate! Please tell where you got your red lipstick/what brand it is because I soooo want to rock the red lipstick but am terrified that I will look like baby prostitute. No one wants that.

    ReplyDelete