Tuesday, November 1, 2011

a letter to natalie


 


My dear Natalie,

I had planned to write you a letter on your 18-month birthday; there's something about 18 months that seems like a big deal.  But the thing about your 18th month is that it has gone by in the blink of an eye, and somehow you are now 19 whole months old.  You're becoming such a little girl now, such an independent little person.

Every day your daddy and I are blown away by the things you can say and do--just today you said "No, I don't" (well, "no-ah-donnnnn") when we asked if you wanted something.  You have lots of cute little phrases ("He-ya go," "I see it," "I have it") and more words than we can count.  When you are home with us, or around people you are very comfortable with, you are a total chatterbox.  You can name your body parts and the foods you eat, you vocalize when you need something and are adamant when you want something right now.  You can be very patient with us when we don't understand what you're saying, and will repeat words up to 10 times until we figure out what you're asking for (Napkin has been a tough one, kid... you say "Agkinnnnn," and we just have no clue what that means most of the time).

Your sweet little personality has grown by leaps and bounds over the past few months.  You now have so many more opinions and preferences, it just amazes me.  You love Finding Nemo; cheese; baby dolls; "singing along" to songs like Twinkle, Twinkle, Baa Baa Black Sheep, the ABC's, and Baby Beluga; "helping" with chores like raking leaves, sweeping the floor, wiping the table, and mixing food up for supper; coloring with crayons and scribbling with pencils; reading books (you can say lots of the words along with us); and so much more. 

All of the things that make you such a smart kid have filled us with overwhelming pride, but it's your genuine sweetness that brings us the most happiness.  You give hugs and kisses, say hi to people passing on the street, shout "I love you!" before bed, and pat your friends on the back at daycare to see if they are okay when they cry.  You are already turning into a person who cares about the well-being of the people around you, and you're so good at bringing joy to others.

I can't believe you're 19 months old, my sweet bear.  I love this age so much, and I can't wait to see what comes next for our family because of you.  Mommy and Daddy love you!

xoxo,
your Mommy

3 comments:

  1. My heart just melted, a thousand times. I love you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but cry like a baby every time I read one of these letters. What a beautiful family you guys are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's a treasure and so obviously loved! You are an awesome mommy, and Mike is a fantastic daddy. You guys surround yourselves with supportive family and friends -- a recipe for a happy kiddo! BIG KISSES to the cutest 18 month old on this planet! I miss you, Hil!

    ReplyDelete