Monday, April 9, 2012

(more than) a week later


This past week has been a bit rough.  If you read about my rough Saturday night, you understand that I spent the first part of the week rehydrating and the remainder of it trying to wrap my head around what happened.  I don't want to dwell on this incident for too long, because, honestly, life feels relatively normal again and I don't feel like it's very productive for my mental health to continue rehashing a trauma that has passed.  I'd rather just move on.

But because I shared some words about my experience on the blog, I didn't want to move on without sharing a few more on how I've recovered.  The biggest thing I want to tell you all is that this type of thing is happening a lot more than I knew; so many of you friends & readers sent me messages and told me that you had been through similar ordeals.  In coffee shops and bars, at parties with strangers and friends, so many women I am connected to have been the victims of this malicious act.  It is unthinkable.

Getting back to normal took a few days, but I really do feel much more like myself now.  I have been holding Natalie closer, giving thanks for friends and family, and otherwise just taking a step back to enjoy the sweet moments of my everyday life.  It is disconcerting, to say the least, that someone in my little community is mean-spirited and reckless enough to play around with this type of drug, but I don't want to feel smothered in the fear of this kind of thing happening again. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment