Friday, January 6, 2012

resolved

Oh, yeah.  It's a new year.  I had planned on writing a timely resolutions post early this week, but, um, life got in the way.  Or, more accurately, evenings spent glued to the final season of Big Love on dvd (a Christmas present from me to the The Moo, and, let's be honest, a to myself, too) got in the way.  But here it is Friday and still the start of a brand new year, and I'm finally ready to type out a few resolutions and share them with the whole of the internets.  Or, you know, the few of you who keep coming back and reading.

Last year I took on one big resolution and a few smaller ones.  Looking back, I would say that I did pretty well at sticking to my resolutions and I feel pretty darn proud of myself for keeping at most of them all year long.  While 2010 was definitely the Year of the Baby, I think 2011 was the Year of Self Preservation for me.  I spent a lot of time digging into motherhood on my own terms, and I feel like I've come into my own as a parent and adult (yikes!).  I'm not sure what 2012 will bring, but here are a few of my goals:

* Bring the romance.  Mikey and I worked hard to reconnect as a couple last year, after having a baby pretty much rocked our worlds and threw all of our routine ways of making each other feel special and loved and needed out the window.  We set aside time for date nights out, and have gotten into the habit of spending one date night in with a romantic meal for two.  Beyond that, though, I have been pretty lazy in the wife & romance departments.  We're broke & busy & exhausted, but I'm tired of making excuses to myself about why I don't put more effort into extending some simple romantic gestures to my husband.  I'm going to work on that this year.

* Tackle some home improvement projects on the cheap.  I've been pinning stuff like crazy to transform Natalie's nursery into a big girl room, and I'm starting to do the same for the master bedroom, too.  We have landscaping work to be done and paint to be slapped on, and garage doors to be mended.  So many of the huge house projects have been done in the 2+ years that we've been living in this little duplex, and now we get to move on to the more nit-picky stuff. 

* Drop a few pounds.  Yup, typical.  I had a similar goal last year, and I totally nailed it by the time December rolled around.  But then the holidays came and I reversed months of work in just a few days of gorging on cookies & chex mix & chocolates & more.  So, I'm going to tackle the cutting back thing again, and I actually think it's going to be a little easier this time around.  More than dropping weight, I just need to get back in shape.  My weight is actually a few pounds lower than it was pre-pregnancy, but my body remains foreign to me a lot of the time--I don't recognize the way my shape has shifted since carrying around and then dropping those 47 pounds of baby insulation.  I've gotta keep at toning things up in a way I never used to, and the new year is as good a time as any to get on the fitness bandwagon.

* Devote some time to growing as a blogger.  BlogHer '11 blew my mind and was a total dream, but I have felt a little stunted in the blogging department since returning home from San Diego.  I think all of that information and inspiration kind of overwhelmed me, and I ended up throwing my hands up and not applying much of what I learned.  I've got to put some energy into making this space grow with me.


So, those are my resolutions.  What are yours?  Any advice for tackling the ones I listed above?  Do you keep your resolutions, or even make them?

0 comments:

Post a Comment